Spring onions, grilled and glistening with olive oil, paired with bright notes of lemon juice and a sprinkling of salty parmesan. Add a few perfectly ripe slices of avocado, and you have what might just be my favourite salad of all.
• 10-12 spring onions
• 1 avocado, finely sliced
• 10 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
• 2 Tbsp capers
• a handful of grated parmesan
• extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
• sea salt for sprinkling
• lemon wedges for serving
1. Remove the fronds from the spring onions, and trim the green ends so that they will fit lengthwise in a pan.
2. Place a cast iron pan over medium-high heat, drizzle with a little olive oil. Grill the spring onions until tender and slightly blackened out on the outside.
3. Leave to cool slightly, then layer on a plate with the slices of avocado, cherry tomatoes and capers. Sprinkle with parmesan, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and add a delicate flick of sea salt. Serve with a small wedge of lemon on the side.