Last month I had the privilege of standing on stage and sharing my personal story with more than 170 doTERRA leaders here in New Zealand. It’s something I never imagined I’d have the confidence to do, and gosh, the experience made me realise how grateful I am for this opportunity and how life-changing it’s been for me in so many ways.
I first attended this leadership event last year as an Elite. I had only been doing the business for a few months and I remember sitting in the room, filled with the most loving and like-minded souls, and thinking yes. I love this company. I am meant to be here. This is how I can make an impact in the world. It just felt so right, you know?
So, to take things back to the beginning. I was invited to my very first oils workshop about a year and a half ago, and to be honest, I really knew nothing about doTERRA, except having the preconceived thought it was perhaps some weird pyramid scheme. I still remember that experience so vividly, the first time I inhaled the oils and how beautifully different they were to anything I have smelt before. A week later I received my first Home Essentials kit, and the rest, well, it’s history! These gorgeous essential oils really did weave their way into my life pretty quickly after that, and since then, I have taught literally hundreds of my own workshops with many beautiful souls, such as yourselves.
There’s many things I have learnt along the way, and as the leader of a Gold team, I thought it might be of value to share my key take-outs with you.
1. We aren’t meant to be the expert.
At my very first workshop, I stuttered, and waffled and rambled over everything I had to say. I was deeply focused on knowing everything and sounding knowledgeable, however, I failed to simply create a lovely environment for my guests to experience and smell the oils. I have since come to learn that we as Wellness Advocates are not meant to be the ‘experts’. In contrast, I’ve found the more down to earth and casual my workshops are, the more likely guests seem to relax and feel as though they can take some time to share, and think about themselves! The best kind of workshops are the ones where guests don’t want to leave. This makes my heart swell, and there’s nothing I love more than being able to give people the space to simply slow down and take some time for their own personal wellbeing.
A few things to remember:
- Keep it simple, keep it fun, and get creative! How I run my workshops might not necessarily work for you and your people. Think about what you’d like to feel as a guest and emulate this in the experience you are offering.
- Ensure you are always having your own unique experiences with the oils, and using them daily. If you are feeling stuck in your business, use your oils along with mindset work to help you through this.
- Stay teachable. It's important to understand that whatever stage you are in the business, this will always be an on-the-job training, no matter what rank you are at!
2. Discomfort is a beautiful thing.
Every single person has established a comfort zone in their lives. I don’t know about you guys, but in the past, I would usually pick the path of least resistance, doing only what I needed to get by. The reason for this is because it felt nice. It felt comfortable, and this is actually how most people tend to live their lives. However, when I started doTERRA, I realized very quickly this small comfort zone I had created for myself was not going to suffice. I had to push myself to grow outside of it, and boy, it felt uncomfortable. Can anybody else relate?
Here's a fabulous graphic created by my clever husband. I do love a good graphic. It’s a fantastic reminder that staying in your comfort zone is basically settling for who you are today. However, without risk, hard work and growing pain, there’s no way you will be able to progress to the next level. Which comfort zone are you sitting in?
The cool thing, is that we can create our own comfort zones at any time, simply by learning to take consistent, daily action. It’s not something that we are born with. In fact, it’s easy to look at successful people, and wonder how they have it all figured out. What we often don’t realise is that they have most probably mastered the art of taking massive action to get to where they are today
3. Become the person people need, not the one that they want.
I’m sure everyone single doTERRA wellness advocate has experienced objections from people who either don’t believe in the magic of essential oils, or have an inherited belief about what doTERRA or network marketing is.
In the earlier days of my business, I used to allow this to deeply affect me and felt as though I always had to defend myself. Since then, I’ve come to realise that not everyone will like what it is that I have to say, and that’s absolutely OK. I would rather keep sharing what I love than dilute this version of myself to simply keep them happy!
In these instances, it’s important to remember that most of the time, people purchase things because they believe it will move them away from pain and towards pleasure. It is our job to show them how these oils can do just that!
A few thoughts:
- Be proud of what you do, and continue to show up every day, even when it feels like nobody is listening.
- Be a shining example of this lifestyle.
- Anchor your attitude in the belief that caring is an incredible gift you have to give others.
- Remember this simple truth: you always get to decide how somebody makes you feel, regardless of what they say. You are always in charge of your own thoughts.
4. The people you spend most of your time with will have a huge impact on your business.
This is a photo of Amy, Hannah and I at our doTERRA Christmas party last year which we put on for all our brilliant customers, sharers and builders. I can honestly say that the relationships I’ve formed over the past year and a half have been utterly life-changing for me. My sense of belonging and community has never felt so strong, and I sometimes have to pinch myself that I get to work alongside some of the most beautiful and talented people. doTERRA really do pull together the highest calibre of leaders!
A few thoughts on this matter:
- Surround yourself with friends who are ruthlessly honest with you, and set you on the right track when you’re going off-kilter. These friends will happily challenge your ideas, beliefs and values, and nudge you to create a better standard in all areas of your life.
- Surround yourself with friends who are going places in life, not those who sit back and criticise or complain, despite taking zero action themselves. Seek friends with an abundant mindset, and watch as their energy becomes contagious to you.
- Find yourself an epic mentor. We all need someone to look up to who will inspire us, give us perspective, and consistently show us a better way. This must be someone who has done the hard yards and has the knowledge you can learn from. Who is yours? Do you need to find somebody new?
5. Learn to love the art of networking.
When I first started this business, I felt petrified of reaching out to people, and what they might think of me. I eventually got over myself and realised that if I kept harnessing this silly energy, I would never be able to share these oils with others.
A few ideas to mention:
- Most people just want to be heard. Learn how to continually turn the conversation back to them, and be genuinely interested in what they have to say. This is the best way to build trust.
- Use your oils when you’re out and about. The number of times I’ve had people ask “What are you wearing? That smells incredible” or say “What’s that you’re rolling on there?”. Being an example of the lifestyle is a simple yet effective way to get a conversation started.
- Always have your oils with you. I carry a set of homemade roller blends using the Home Essentials oils so that I always have a sample of each oil on hand for almost every need. You never know who you'll run into, and what their concerns might be.
- Get out of the house, and frequent the places that you love. This is where you will meet your people. If you don’t love yoga, don’t go to yoga! Stay authentic to you, and indulge in some self-care while you’re at it. Stay consistent, be flexible, and always focus on serving others
6. Learn how to ask yourself fantastic questions.
For the first 6 months or so at the beginning of my doTERRA journey I would find myself frustrated, and repeating the same silly questions on my head. I was then reminded by my lovely husband, that if I kept asking myself these crappy questions, how can I expect a better outcome?
Instead of “Will people like my class?”, ask yourself:
“How can I create beautiful energy in my class, and ensure everyone feels looked after?”
Instead of “Why does nobody return my messages?” ask yourself:
“How can I show up more energetically to inspire others to give oils a go?”
Ask yourself better questions, and you’ll receive better outcomes. It’s that simple.
7. Make sure your health and wellness comes first, before trying to help others.
There was a period in my business where I felt I was doing everything to move towards a new goal, and I couldn’t understand why it wasn’t happening for me. The truth is, I was completely burnt out, and no use to anybody, especially not my family.
There’s no way we can spread a message of wellness when are not being the example of it ourselves. Once I realized this, I made sure my self-care rituals were always prioritized.
Here’s a few things you can do on the daily to be the best version of myself:
- Feed your mind. Listen to podcasts, audiobooks or read daily. This can be done when folding the washing, cooking dinner, or driving home from the school drop off. There is always time to invest in your mind, it’s just a matter of priorities.
- Move your body. Changing your physiology is possibly the easiest way to break through a limiting belief or negative feeling you might be experiencing. I like to repeat a series of affirmations while I’m moving, and anchor that feeling with an oil such as EasyAir or Peppermint. If anyone here has been to a Tony Robbins seminar, you’ll totally know what I’m talking about!
- Nourish your body with food that makes you feel good. And I’m not talking about that whole bar of chocolate! I’m all about balance, but friend, when you learn to love eating healthy food the majority of the time, this really does wonders to your productivity and mood.
8. Take full ownership of your business.
Because of the collaborative nature of this business, there have been times when I’ve found myself resentful or frustrated with those in my team who haven’t committed or followed through. It’s in these moments that I’ve had to remind myself that at the end of the day, I am the only one who can take full ownership of my business.
Every single day, you can make the choice. Your choices determine your outcome. Your choices determine your destiny. However, your choices can also determine your destruction if you allow them to do so. You get to choose, nobody else. And as soon as you live by this truth, well, that’s when the real magic starts to happen.
And so let me ask you. What choice are you making today? Eleanor x
Ps. If you have your own doTERRA business and found this valuable, please feel free to share it with your team!
Interested in getting started? Please reach out to the person who introduced you to doTERRA. And if that’s me? I’d be thrilled to hear from you! I’m in the business of changing lives, and I’d love to do this with you!